9.20.2006

Is Hell paved with good intentions?


The Thai government has been overthrown by a military coup.
This has rapidly lead to people here in Taiwan to think: Could the same thing happen here?

I don't want to use the backdrop of "cloak and dagger conspiracies" as a means to introduce an analysis of what has taken place here in Taiwan over the past two weeks. However, I cannot help to feel that the lastest Thai episode gives us an uncanny opportunity to project our deepest hopes and fears. The anti-corruption campaign that seeks to oust President Chen from office and indeed, the citizens of this republic are now poised to have their legal institutions, beliefs and values tested in the most strident ways.

My brother suggested that I take time to put my thoughts down in writing. Clearly, we both think that this is a very crucial, if not pivotal point in Taiwanese history, not just Taiwanese political history. With this suggestion in mind, I will use this space of expression to unload my restrospections, introspections, frustrations, juxtapositions and interpretations on this latest social movement.

0 Comments:

張貼留言

<< Home